Gen Y Rail delivers educational and engagement events to 11 – 19 year olds across the country promoting the wide a diverse range of exciting career opportunities available in the UK Rail Industry.
The UK Rail Industry is full of remarkable talent and has been a consistent incubator of innovation during its lifetime, resulting in an industry bursting with inspirational people, a vast array of career opportunities and some of the most exciting engineering projects across the globe.
As investment increases and the number of jobs on offer rises, and with so many compelling reasons to pursue a career in the UK Rail Industry, why do most 11 – 19-year-old students remain oblivious to these opportunities? The answer is simple: many of them just haven’t been told. That is until now!
Underpinned by STEM and the British Science Associations CREST Discovery Award students will get a chance to take part in hands-on engineering activities and hear more about the training, qualifications and apprenticeships available.
Let your students:
- Discover the wide and diverse range of career opportunities on offer in the innovative and dynamic rail industry.
- Compete with their peers developing solutions to engineering challenges faced by the industry and present to a Dragons' Den style panel of judges.
- Engage with local and national employers, colleges and universities.
- Interact with young graduates and apprentices working in the rail industry today.
Gen Y Rail consists of engineering and design competitions for 11–19 year olds, split into regional heats culminating in a national final.
North East - This leg of the competition was on 13th February at the Hancock Museum, Newcastle Upon Tyne and saw some 150 students from schools and colleges compete, read full coverage here and take a look at some of the photos from the day.
North West - 2nd June - The Great Hall, Manchester Town Hall, Manchester City Council, Albert Sq, Manchester - Click here to enter a team
East Midlands - 20th March - at Derby College, organised by iRail - Click here to enter a team
West Midlands - 4th June - At Network Rail's Westwood facility, Coventry - Click here to enter a team
South - Date TBC - Click here to enter a team
Winning teams on the day from each event will secure a place in the national final.
National Final - 25th June - At Network Rail's Westwood training facility, Coventry
Young apprentices and postgraduates already working in the rail industry will also give lively and engaging presentationsthat will inspire your students.
For more information contact Roy Rowlands 0044(0)161 833 6320 or to enter a team click here
Why should the Rail industry participate in these events?
This is a unique opportunity to reach out to 11-19 year olds across the country and promote the wide and diverse range of exciting careers on offer in the UK rail industry!
- Join students from schools and colleges across the country and inspire them to become the leaders and rail engineers of the future
- Participate in a series of regional competitions across the country and inspire 11 – 19 year olds to pursue the range of fascinating career opportunities in rail.
- Volunteer on the day and mentor the teams – play a vital role in assisting students in developing solutions to engineering challenges, to be presented to a Dragons’ Den style judging panel.
- Exhibit and engage with a room full of tomorrow’s leaders
For more information, to volunteer, sponsor or exhibit at these events contact Roy Rowlands on 0044(0)161 833 6320 or by email or submit your enquiry online here