WSP to deliver report on Roll-out battery-powered trains in the U.K

WSP to deliver report on Roll-out battery-powered trains in the U.K

Leading consulting firm WSP has been appointed by the Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB) to advise on the delivery of battery-powered trains on the UK rail network.

The agreement will see the company work closely with industry stakeholders, including Network Rail and the Great British Railways Transition Team (GBRTT) to produce an evidence-based report which will provide industry with clear recommendations for the standardisation of battery-power within the U.K’s rail industry and the most efficient way of adopting the technology.

WSP has experience in this area already, as it has helped both the Norwegian and Swedish rail networks  will draw on its extensive experience of battery train development for the Norwegian and Swedish rail networks, and in the UK, where it has previously explored the potential for battery train operation for Network Rail and the GBRTT.

Rolling Stock

In 2018, DfT announced its ambition to remove all diesel-only trains from its network by 2040 and commitment to achieve net zero railways by 2050. According to the latest statistics from the Office of Rail and Road, electric rolling stock made up 71% of the network with Diesel and Bi-Mode making up the remaining 29%.

Steven Hart, associate director, Rail Planning at WSP, said: “Decarbonising the UK’s transport system will be key if we are to meet our climate commitments, and battery power’s potential as a cost-effective method of supporting these efforts is tremendous.

“We’re excited to be working collaboratively with RSSB and industry stakeholders to develop guidance for future standardised, safe and resilient battery train deployments in the UK and to support the rail industry in driving down its emissions in line with the UK’s net zero targets.”

It is hoped WSP’s work will support GBRTT’s emergent thinking around battery trains as part of its thirty-year strategy for rail, optimising the best solution for each battery route.

Aaron Barrett, RSSB lead research analyst said: “To date, the design and roll-out of battery trains has been undertaken on a scheme-by-scheme basis. This has resulted in bespoke designs with manufacturers having their own approach to battery charging. While this has supported more rapid deployments, it has the potential restrict operational flexibility and rolling stock cascade options in the future.”

Photo Credit: Istock



Putting Passengers First

This issue highlights the latest topics within the rail industry, from decarbonising the Midlands, improving rail safety, meeting the future priorities of Scotland's Railway & more!                                                      


View all videos
TransCityRail Banner


South \ 28 09 23
North \ 09 11 23
Mids \ 29 02 24

TransCityRail is a series of regional, interactive and insightful events across the country bringing together leaders, collaborators, problem solvers and innovators in a creative and invigorating way.

This series of events supports and informs the whole of the rail industry and connects suppliers with buyers, specifiers, leaders and decision-makers looking to procure a wide variety of innovative products and services for their region.


TransCityRail North

The North of England is home to almost a quarter of the UK’s entire population, so it’s no surprise that continued investment across the regions railway is a priority for Transport for the North, Network Rail, HS2, Operators and Major Contractors.

For over a decade the TransCityRail NORTH conference, exhibition and networking dinner has been uniting the leaders of industry responsible for building shaping and delivering rail infrastructure investment across the region for a day of collaboration, conversation and engagement.

This year we have another star studied line-up of keynote speakers and panel discussions on strategic rail investment for the region, Transpennine Route Upgrade and Northern Powerhouse Rail revealing £billions in opportunity for the supply chain.

More articles...

View all