Network rail are to invest record numbers in the next five years to address and “tackle decades of under investment” with an earmarked 1.25 billion it looks to improve, revitalize and upgrade it services, rail lines with new and more reliable technology to support improving train performance and keeping people moving into the post-pandemic era.
With a quarter of a million already set apart to improve Lewisham train station and another billion to improve areas in Kent and South East London. Signalling, embankments, structures, stations and depots are all on the list to recieve funding giving.
Giving the region and are a huge boost and support in regards to infrastructure.
It will be a busy weekend of engineering work in Kent over Easter as Network Rail continues to deliver a better railway for passengers as part of the South East Upgrade.
- From Friday 2 until Monday 5 April, we are replacing a bridge just outside Dartford station to give passengers more reliable services. This means there will be road diversions and no trains will run to or from Dartford station. There will be a rail replacement bus service between Slade Green, Crayford, Dartford and Gravesend.
- We will be carrying out essential maintenance work at Charing Cross and London Bridge to improve service reliability. No trains will run from Charing Cross station on Sunday 4 April.
Some services will be diverted to Cannon Street.
- Engineers will also be carrying out essential track upgrades between Hither Green and Petts Wood, Nunhead to St Mary Cray and on the ‘Catford Loop’. Rail replacement bus services will be running but passengers are advised to check before travelling.
- Further into Kent the Hastings line between Hastings and Tonbridge will be closed as engineers continue embankment stabilisation work to protect the area from future landslips. Buses will replace trains between Battle and Tunbridge Wells.
- London Charing Cross to/from London Bridge/New Cross maintenance and structures works. All South-eastern services will start/terminate from Cannon Street.